Friday 12 September 2008

Bringing what we have


This picture I took at Taize, is inspiring me at the moment in terms of bringing what we have, as worship. There is something appealing about the difference between the icon; the painting of which is hours of painstaking work and apparently heavily governed by complex rules, and the bunch of flowers picked in the adjoining field and presented in a cut off water bottle. I find it hard to believe God is any less pleased with the flowers. Both methods of worship seem to be working together quite happily here.
I think it says to me that it is ok that we just do what we can do; if we have great artistic talent - wonderful, but if what we bring is something simple like a bunch of flowers - then better that we worship with those, than don't look to him at all. The truth for me is that I would never have glanced at the icon if the flowers hadn't been there, so maybe simple things can sometimes lead a way in to the more complex.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: