Sunday 27 September 2009

Light from Lite

Sometimes a bit of light comes into our life from an unexpected source and this week for me this happened whilst reading ‘The London Lite’ football page.

For the non-London commuters ‘The London Lite’ is a free daily newspaper given away on London streets full mostly of show biz trivia and football news which takes about ten minutes to read (well, maybe twelve). Not the place for a spiritual lesson you would think but I find the Holy Spirit often sneaks up on me in the strangest places. In fact I often listen best when I am not expecting it.

It was a Frank Lampard quote (for any non-football fans who are still with me he is an outstanding mid-field player whose scores lots of goals) on the return of Jo Cole (another Chelsea and England player);

“Joe is the type of player who has all the tricks and skills, whereas for me the game is all about arriving at the right place at the right time” (London Lite 24 September 2009)

It’s true! I have watched Frank Lampard play many times and he rarely tries to beat anyone – he often just passes the ball and runs in to space. This suddenly became a strong reminder for me of the way I think the spiritual life works. Life, like football, has a flow about it and the trick can be reading that flow and running and creating space to be in right place at the right time. Sometimes, this is counter intuitive in a society which encourages ‘doing’ just as it can be counter intuitive in football to find space and not chase the ball all the time.

I made a new resolution to find ways of running into (or creating) space in my life so that I can be in the right place at the right time for God to show me the way. Any thoughts

1 comment:

Shaun Perryman said...

I am finding the Saturday morning prayer meeting and Sunday mornings my 'space' at the momnet and really enjoying basking in the presence og the Holy Spirit. Work is very busy at the moment and I often feel overwhlemed with the space of the days being squeezed out. I know God and his HS are all around all the time but Ashley does semm to be a 'thin place' for me at the moment and I really look forward to spending time there