Monday 9 February 2009

God's Perspective in a Snowstorm

On Sunday at Ashley I tried to say something about Getting God’s perspective on a difficult situations in one’s life. It reminded me of trying to imagine summer flowers in the garden in the middle of a winter snowstorm.



Seeking God’s perspective might sound a very arrogant thought but I am really not thinking of situations where two people know that ‘God is on their side’ – a formula for wars! But times when such perspective may bring, in one’s own life, a breakthrough or release from something.

The story of Joseph (the amazing coloured dream-coat one) and the way he could forgive his brothers for selling him into slavery is one of the most remarkable biblical examples of this I know. Towards the end of the story his words to his brothers are:

I am your brother Joseph, the one you sold into Egypt! And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you. [Gen 45:4-5]

Together in the church service we listed some of the factors that might help us to find or have clues to God’s perspective when we need it:

Faith that it is possible!
The willingness to get out of the box (imagination)and change
The courage to be different
The patience to stop, look and listen (praying alone)
Listening to the tune of hope with relaxed attentiveness
Keeping the words of the Bible in one’s mind
Being with people of faith (praying together)
Re-visiting who God is (the character of God)
Believing that you are a wonderful person

Any more to add........................

If you want the whole talk it will on the Ashley Podcasts.

1 comment:

Tom said...

I my case I find it important to try and remember to find my own faith, however small, rather than to latch on to a bigger faith that is not really mine.
The words 'faith' and 'mine' are not quite what I mean but are the closest I can think of.