Wednesday 25 March 2009

Heart , Head and Old Books

At our housegroup last night we had an excellent presentation from Mike Elliott on Frank Morison’s book ‘Who Moved the Stone’. It was good to hear the details of the Easter story again. The book was required reading in my early days as a Christian giving a logical defence of the resurrection of Jesus based mostly on the New Testament documents.

I think we all enjoyed the presentation but generally found it very much ‘in the head’ and of more use and encouragement to someone who is already a Christian on a journey. The beginning of the journey itself is more often stimulated by the ‘heart and soul’ and not ‘the head’. It is very much an appeal to the rational and I was struck by how much the experiential was left out.

It then occurred to me as I re-visited the book through the presentation that the book was really a faith journey diary of this particular man who needed this for himself. He was very much a ‘in the head’ man. I guess we all have a need to journey with our head and with our heart and in different proportions for different people and at different life stages. Maybe quite a few of us at Ashley are now in a more ‘heart’ and intuitive phase of our faith.

On reflection I found that it is interesting to visit old books that I have read before and see whether I relate to them in the same way – this time it certainly gave me a perspective on my journey now and where I am.

Any thoughts?

No comments: