Sunday 26 April 2009

In the Gap Reflections between Easter and Pentecost

Our Sunday Service with ‘In the Gap’ as its theme had contributions of photographs, drawings, narrative, a lead casting and in the middle of the church a labyrinth with various prayer activities. It reinforced for me the way gaps (ie no planned ‘service’) can be transformed into creative spaces.

Gaps can imply something is missing that we wish was there but space can imply that there is room for new creative things.

At Easter the disciples had a gap wrenched in their life but it was in fact a space for the Spirit to come. Is this meaning of the story of Mary Magdalene not wanting to let go of Jesus after the resurrection?

Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, `I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'" [John 20:17]

The labyrinth on the church floor for me symbolised the way an expanse of church floor usually occupied by seats (a ‘gap’) could be transformed into a space for prayer and meditation.

Has anyone experienced this type of transformation from gap to space? Why not let us know through a comment?

No comments: