Monday 20 April 2009

Little bits of Bible

Recently I have read a couple of articles that suggest bible reading should be left to the experts; that we need it explained to us. Certainly there are bits that are so unclear our only hope of understanding comes through someone who has studied the surrounding issues. However, I believe huge chunks of it are very accessible for us ordinary people and so I like to keep looking at it, and if I miss layers of meaning, then I do, but I take what I can from it.
Putting verses on the blog is just a way for me of remembering to look at the bible a bit more often, and I make no claim about how inspired the verses are - they just caught my attention that day. I invite anyone else to chip in at any point.

Psalm 141:2

4 comments:

Roy said...

Totally agree with you Sue.

I think this idea that you need lots of training to read the Bible goes back to when common people weren't allowed to read the Bible at all! It cuts right across the idea that it is God's Word and can speak to us which has sustained people of faith for hundreds of years.

It strikes me as intellectual arrogance and snobbery.

It takes faith to be purely intellectual and to mind mind removes the Spirit from the whole thing. Sure we make mistakes but so do those who rely on the 'latest research'. The 'latest research' ideas do change - a bit like the latest fashion!

Shaun Perryman said...

I agree too and actually felt 'my hackles rise' as I read your comment. Who's to say that the 'experts' know what God was meaning any way. Whilst I think it is good for us to read other peoples interpretations and at times it will help us understand but other times I find myself disagreeing with their ideas or at least having a slightly different view.
Jesus certainly challenged the ideas of 'the experts' in his day so quite frankly I wouldn't want to be given that label!

Sue said...

Psalm 119:10

Sue said...

Philippians 4:8