Thursday 2 April 2009

Where else would we go Lord?

Sue's suggested bible reading (see below) reminded me again of the disciples response (see title) to Jesus and that even when things seem to be going totally 'pear shaped' where else can we turn but to Jesus. There may be many things that give instant relief from a situation but does not solve the problem or make it go away. We have to be prepared sometimes to grit our teeth and decide to keep going knowing that God will be with us even if at the time it doesn't seem like it. Not always easy but the guys didn't know God's deliverance until they were actually thrown into the furnance but they had the faith and the assurance not to turn to other 'gods' or disown their God.

Daniel 3:17-18

17 If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. 18 But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

1 comment:

Sue said...

I have had a Taize song in my head this morning; it is sung in German, but the translation is:

God,gather and turn my thoughts to you. With you there is light, you do not forget me. With you there is help and patience. I do not understand your ways, but you know the way for me.

This morning has been a bit trying (already and it is only 8.30!) My prayer is that God gathers it up, and I choose to turn towards him. His practical intervention would be handy too, but if not - I want to keep him in mind anyway because I believe that he does know what matters most.