Sunday 29 June 2008

Trust in me

The answer to the teaser below (27 June) was trust. Our daily challenge as Christians is to continue to trust in God whatever happens to us or those around us. Hopefully this weeks talk (available as a podcast - see links on the right)will help you in putting your trust in God, preparing it helped me a lot. Below is the slide show that went with the talk and I have also posted the extract from Phillip Yancey's book which I think is an extremely helpful way of picturing how we should trust in God.


In his book "Fearfully and Wonderfully Made," Philip Yancey says:
A certain bridge in South America consists of interlocking vines supporting a precariously swinging platform hundreds of feet above a river. I know the bridge has supported hundreds of people over many years, and as I stand at the edge of the chasm I can see people confidently crossing the bridge. The engineer in me wants to weigh all the factors: measure the stress tolerances of the vines, test the wood for termites, survey all the bridges in the area for one that might be stronger. I could spend a lifetime determining whether the bridge is fully trustworthy. But eventually, if I really want to cross, I must take a step. When I put my weight on that bridge and walk across, even though my heart is pounding and my knees are shaking, I am making a statement-declaring my position.
In the Christian world I sometimes must live like this, making choices which contain inherent uncertainty. If I wait for all the evidence to be in, for everything to be settled, I'll never move. Often I have had to act on the basis of the bones of the Christian faith, before those bones were fully formed in me and before I understood the reason for their existence.
Bone is hard, but it is alive. If the bones of faith do not continue to grow, they will soon become dead skeletons.

No comments: