Thursday 22 May 2008

Great expectations?


I wasn't at Ashley on Sunday because I was at Lords watching the Test Match. It was a funny sort of day with England captain Michael Vaughan scoring a century whilst his team-mates found it harder going than the pundits thought it should be against New Zealand.

Cricket isn't everyone's cup of tea and I can understand why. If you're watching it expecting a boundary or a wicket from every delivery then you'll be frustrated; in the case of a Test Match its better to manage your expectations by regarding it as a gently unfolding story.
Expectations, whether high or low, are part of our Christian lives. Some would say that to receive great things from God we need to expect great things from God. That may be true, but it sits a bit uncomfortably with my own natural inclination to 'manage my expectations' in order to avoid being disappointed. Can I nurture a healthy sense of spiritual expectancy that doesn't get deflated when God doesn't act in the way I might want him to? I guess its something I need to work on.....a bit like some of the England players with their batting.

No comments: