Tuesday 20 May 2008

Trying too hard

On Sunday we sang a song that we have often sung before, but I got caught up with the words in a way that I sometimes don't. It contained the lines:

'When earthly wisdom dims the light of knowing You
Or if my search for understanding clouds Your way,
To You I'll fly, my hiding place... '

It is quite challenging when our very search for understanding is the thing that is clouding God's way. It comes back to the Easter verse about having nothing left to give but ourselves as finding out that that was what he wanted all along - not our cleverness, or our dutifulness or any of our other' -nesses', but just our raw selves. No wonder we need to fly to him to be hidden; that's pretty exposed. If we're not to try too hard to understand, then we are into heavenly bearhug territory - we need to learn to just be held.
I find that a bit tricky!


No comments: