Wednesday 14 May 2008

Pentecost reflection

Very much enjoyed the service on Sunday, as we were reminded in various ways by various people of the various ways in which God touches us by his Holy Spirit. At the same time we had the sober reflection from Roy of how hard it sometimes is to have faith that God can respond to our prayers when faced with something as massive as the cyclone tragedy in Burma - I often feel that way myself.

Thinking about experiences of the Spirit on Sunday, I found myself thinking about the first time I spoke in tongues - about eight years ago. Since then its a gift I have made use of, but it does involve discipline, and sometimes I've gone for months without using it. Its not something I talk about much because it is a bit of a weird thing, and I don't fully understand it myself. What I have found though is that at times it helps me when I can't find the words to say to God, and that it helps me to engage my heart as well as my head.

I remember once reading something by CS Lewis which I found very encouraging. Reflecting on the fact that sometimes we feel that our prayers are just bouncing off the ceiling - he pointed out that since the Holy Spirit lives in us, what may feel like a monologue is actually God working through us as we articulate our compassion for people and situations. Hope that's of some encouragement to us as we pray (in whatever language!)

Gavin

No comments: